Counseling and coachingneeds of the students are duly recognized by our Institution. In this regard, a counseling cell has been established to address the psychological needs of the students. Mr.GururajaRao.B, will council the students based on theirspecific needs / requirements. One to one counselingand group counselingare held as per the needs of the students. Motivational talks are conducted periodically to address the general needs as essential for the students. If the need arises, we take the assistance of Psychologists- Department of Psychiatry, Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College, Kolar. Psycho social support is offered to the students who are in distress. Behavioral problems, relationship issues and other psycho-social issues that may trouble the student and impede learning are addressed by the counseling cell. Utmost confidentiality is maintained with regard to the students’ identity and the nature of their problems reported.
Further, regular monitoring of the students, based on their performance, behavior is done by the councilor along with the departmental faculty members andmentors. The parent meetings are held periodically, on the basis of identified needs, parent intervention / suggestions, the issues of the students are effectively handled. Informal system of mentoring is also used wherever it is necessary. The counseling cell aims to make the students self-confident, self-reliant and committed towards the excellence.
COUNSELLING TECHNIQUES ADOPTED BY COUNSELOR TOWARDS STUDENT
The techniques adopted for pursuing students of Engineering/Others during the counseling session:
- Create a positive and friendly first impression. Create TRUST amongst them that any information will be HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL.
- Establish rapport during the first session, show empathy and reassure the young client.
- Eliminate barriers to good communication (e.g., negative attitudes, poor listening, not allowing youth to express fears or ask questions, being judgmental and impatient, etc.)
- Use “active listening” with the young client; i.e. acknowledging, confirming and asking clarification from the speaker.
- Provide information simply and use visual aids which motivates proactively as much as possible.
- Ask appropriate and effective questions and use open-ended questions.
- Allow the student to ask questions and seek clarification.
- Recognize and take advantage of teachable moments.
B.GururajaRao, NLP Trainer and Life Skills Coach
Tele: 09342856814, e-mail: email@example.com