Counseling and coachingneeds of the students are duly recognized by the R.L.Jalappa Group of Institutions, Doddaballapur has established a counseling cell to address the psychological needs of the students. Mr.GururajaRao.B, alsothe counselor of SDUMC offers counseling to the students based on the students’ needs and requirements. One on one counselingand group counselingare held as per the needs of the students. Motivational talks are conducted periodically to address the general needs of the students. If need arises, we take assistance with the Psychologists and the Department of Psychiatry, Sri DevarajUrs Medical College, Kolar. Psycho social support is offered to students who are in distress. Behavioral problems, relationship issues and other psycho-social issues that trouble the student and impede learning are addressed by the cell. Utmost confidentiality is maintained with regard to students’ identity and the nature of their problems. Regular monitoring of the students, based on their performance, behavior is done by the faculty, departmental mentors and the counselor. Parent meets are held periodically. Based on the identified need, parent intervention and support is sought and parental guidance is offered in order toadequately address the issues of students. Informal system of mentoring is used wherein the faculty offer mentoring services to students. The counseling cell aims to make the medical students self-confident, self-reliant and committed to the cause.
COUNSELLING TECHNIQUES ADOPTED BY COUNSELOR TOWARDS STUDENT
The techniques adopted for pursuing students of Engineering/Others during the counseling session:
- Create a positive and friendly first impression. Create TRUST amongst them that any information will be HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL.
- Establish rapport during the first session, show empathy and reassure the young client.
- Eliminate barriers to good communication (e.g., negative attitudes, poor listening, not allowing youth to express fears or ask questions, being judgmental and impatient, etc.)
- Use “active listening” with the young client; i.e. acknowledging, confirming and asking clarification from the speaker.
- Provide information simply and use visual aids which motivates proactively as much as possible.
- Ask appropriate and effective questions and use open-ended questions.
- Allow the student to ask questions and seek clarification.
- Recognize and take advantage of teachable moments.
B.GururajaRao, NLP Trainer and Life Skills Coach
Tele: 09342856814, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org