The First President of the University Sri.R.L.Jalappa, who has been the Founder & present Chairman of Sri DevarajUrs Educational Trust (SDUET), for the past 25 years is an outspoken politician, educationist and leader of co-operative movement. Today under his leadership Sri DevarajUrs Educational Trust has 8 Institutions in which more than 500 dedicated, motivated faculties are serving and over 4500 students have enrolled for various courses from kindergarten to post doctoral courses, in traditional, technical and medical educational Institutions.
Present positions held :
President, Sri Devaraj Urs University
Chairman, Sri Devaraj Urs Educational Trust for Backward classes,
Previous positions held :
- President- Taluk Development Board - One term of 4 years,
- President- Bangalore District Agriculture Rural Development Bank - 7 A1/2 Years.
- President- Karnataka State District Agricultural Rural Development Bank - 2 Years.
- June 1980 to April 1983 Member, Karnataka Legislative Council.
- April 1983 to April 1983 Member, Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
- May 1983 to December 1984, Minister of Co-operative, Govt. of Karnataka.
- May 1985 to April 1986 Minister for Co-operative, Govt. of Karnataka.
- May 1986 to June 1987 Home Minister, Government of Karnataka.
- December 1994 to May 1996 Revenue Minister, Govt. of Karnataka.
- June 1996 to August 1997 Union Minister of Textiles, Govt. of India.
- September 1997 to May 2009 Member of Parliament LokhSabha (3 terms).
Special Interest in :
Promoting Agricultural, Horticultural, Dairy Farming, Education & Co-operative movement.